Praise Team Ministry Description
As a member or prospective member of this great ministry of First Baptist Church, we want you to be fully aware of the importance of this organization to the worship vitality of our church. As with any worthwhile endeavor there are expectations of both leader and member alike. Below you will find the overarching Mission and Covenant Statements for the First Baptist Worship Ministries as well as specific descriptions of what you can expect from your staff and the expectations vested in all members of this worship team. In bold italics will be changes made from previous years.
I. Mission Statement and Covenant for Worship Ministries
The Worship Ministries exists to glorify God through the authentic biblical worship, both personally and corporately, of those He has entrusted to us. Our purpose is also to discover, cultivate, and empower leaders who influence others for the Kingdom of God.
I understand that entering into this Worship Ministry is an important calling which will take time, energy, consistency, and commitment. I, along with the other ministry members, covenant to:
Pray for this ministry, our church and our community
Proclaim the Good News and love of Jesus Christ through the various media of creative worship
Participate in all services and rehearsals with as much regularity as I can
Practice diligently and regularly, realizing that my absence diminishes our potential
Promote this ministry among our membership that all who need to may heed God’s call to join us
II. As a staff we will provide:
- Prayerful leadership
- Core beliefs and values
- Support for all the ministries of our church
- Adequate preparation. We will give you “special” music at least 3 weeks out and keep Planning Center updated.
- Appropriate care for you and your family
- A calendar of scheduled worship leadership and rehearsal dates through Planning Center
- Good communication—the primary vehicle is the Spotlight published each Wednesday night. If you are absent, please check the website at FBCA.ORG. Emily will also try to send most information by email and through Planning Center.
- Music and materials to aid in worship and rehearsal. We have established a “leader” for each team to help facilitate communication and materials.
- Structured rehearsals designed to facilitate musical, spiritual, and community growth.
- Staff availability (Barry or Emily) on Tuesday nights for rehearsals.
III. As a member you will be expected to:
- Prepare spiritually.
- Regularly attend Wednesday Sanctuary Choir rehearsals and Sunday Worship Services. THIS IS IMPERATIVE. As an “above and beyond” part of the Worship Ministries, it is of the utmost importance that you be an active part of the core group. As a praise team member, we are asking you to commit to 75% of all Sanctuary Choir rehearsals and Sunday morning services (the one you normally attend).
- Check all calendared rehearsals and performances and let Emily and your praise team leader know of any conflicts as soon as possible. Block out unavailable dates in Planning Center.
- Woodshed your music! Music (and audio files in Planning Center) will be provided. Please rehearse on your own before the designated “team” rehearsals take place.
- Realize the team and ensemble nature of a Praise Team. Without your preparation in joint rehearsals our ability to perform as a group is diminished.
- Be on time for rehearsals, sound checks, and performances. If you are singing on Sunday morning, plan to be here early or late the Wednesday before to rehearse with the instrumental group that is accompanying you.
- Check the Spotlight and Planning Center each week for pertinent information.
- Care for others in our choir and worship ministries.
Our work is important. We believe in the message that we bring. We want to do our utmost to serve the Lord, our community, and each other. Together, we will seek God’s strength and leadership so that we may sing His praise.
I have read over the above Ministry Description, prayed about it, and feel that God is leading me to be a part of this ministry for the next year, August 2011-August 2012.